Chief Executive Officer – Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce
The Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce is searching for a dynamic individual to lead the organization as its CEO. The ideal candidate will have experience leading non-profit organizations and the ability to create and maintain relationships with members and community partners to carry out short and long term visions of the chamber. The CEO reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for providing general oversight of the organization and its day-to-day operations. Responsibilities include managing chamber staff, budgeting and fiscal management, developing programs and services, event planning and serving as a spokesperson for the organization.
The CEO is the chief executive and administrative officer of the organization and reports directly to the Board of Directors and its Executive Board. The CEO is responsible for all administrative management functions, including but not limited to: coordination of the chamber programs; organizational structure and procedures; motivation of volunteers; income and expenditures; recruitment, visitation and retention of membership; employment, training, and supervision of staff; development, implementation and interpretation of policy; maintenance of the facility; and short-term and long-range planning. The CEO serves as the “face of the chamber” and will provide a high profile leadership, vision, guidance and strategic direction for the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Management and Administration
· Provide general oversight of the organization and its day-to-day operations.
· Direct the activities on behalf of the Board of Directors to insure implementation of programs and services for membership.
· Performs as a liaison between the board, staff, and members to maintain and carry out the chamber programs.
· Monitors legislation which could affect the membership and prepares statements or assists the President of the Board of Directors in making statements of the chamber’s position on public issues.
· Prepares the board agenda and maintains the minutes and records.
· Motivates and inspires chamber volunteers.
· Responsible for structure and activities of all committees.
· Insures that chamber policy, as established by the board, is properly recorded in minutes and indexes in the policy manual.
· Insures physical chamber facility is properly maintained.
· Represents the chamber in meetings of local, state, and national organizations.
· Leads any fundraising events to generate non-dues income to support chamber operations.
· Hires, trains, directs, evaluates and provides all administrative action of chamber and CVB staff.
· Works with the CVB director to develop marketing tools and tactics to promote Pierre as a travel destination.
· Works with Membership Director to ensure the membership is maintained at a level necessary for adequate income for the operation of the chamber programs.
· Ensures annual contact is made with each member.
· Works with the Membership Director to ensure the chamber provides quality member benefits and services.
· Oversees work of the Membership Director in retention of existing members and recruitment of new members.
· Develops and monitors marketing strategies to promote the benefits of membership in order to engage new members and sustain them.
Fiscal Management and Budgeting
· Develops, presents, and recommends a balanced chamber budget to insure expenditures are directly related to the program goals and also insures that the chamber operates in a fiscally responsible manner.
· Approves expenditures within the approved budget.
· Prepares or oversees preparation of monthly financial statements of income and expenses.
· Coordinate the annual audit/review of the financial record of the chamber and serves as the point of contact for accountants conducting the audit.
· Insures fiscal duties are adequately segregated.
· Performs basic accounting duties including: invoicing, making deposits, preparing and paying bills, preparing monthly reconciliations.
· Closes out chamber books at the end of each fiscal year.
· Serve as a correspondent on chamber bank accounts.
Strategic Vision and Planning
· Works with the board on developing and implementing a strategic plan.
· Performs annual review of programs and committee structures, and recommends necessary changes to the board.
· Assists committee chairs in recruiting committee membership.
· Maintain consistency in programs run through the chamber and monitors progress to insure goals are being met.
· Researches community needs and anticipates community long-range problems and recommends programs to counteract those problems.
· Reviews and recommends changes to the current organizational structure to insure that the organization is effectively geared to function with maximum efficiency in the anticipation, identification, and solution of chamber or community problems.
Performs other work as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities:
· Principles of organizational behavior and management tools applicable to public administration.
· Budget administration.
· The organization and operations of the Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce and its programs.
· Basic accounting principles.
· Quickbooks accounting software
· Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and Publisher.
· Best practices in the use of social media.
· Establish and maintain effective communications and relationships with internal and external customers.
· Work together with the Board to establish a clear vision for the mission and goals of the Chamber and to clearly impart that vision to the staff and membership.
· Coach, mentor, and foster teamwork among staff.
· Motivate and inspire volunteers, members, and staff.
· Anticipate long-range community needs and develop programs based on those needs.
· Ascertain suggestions, proposals, and requests from the members and translate them into action consistent with the fundamental objectives and policies of the chamber.
· Create working conditions that are conducive to maximum performance and employee morale.
· Develop a better public understanding of the purpose and functions of the organization.
· Plan, direct, and supervise the work of others.
· Write and distribute news articles, press releases, professional letters and other documents as necessary.
· Ability to multi-task in a dynamic organization.
Physical Requirements: (If necessary)
Ability to bend and lift approximately 20 lbs.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Public Relations or a related degree.
· IOM or CCE certification preferred.
· Experience in staff leadership and development.
· Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
· Experience in non-profit organizational leadership.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience provided. Candidates should have flexibility to include early morning, evening and/or weekend meetings or travel as needed.
Please mail cover letter and resume by April 2, 2018 to:
Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce
Attn: CEO Search
800 W. Dakota Ave
Pierre, SD 57501
Or email to Laurasc@pierre.org